Thursday, April 14, 2016

Blonde Rocky

Today has been one of those days where I had to remind myself that it's okay to still miss our girls. Today marks two years since we lost our Sydney Girl. Today is the day that I was reminded that there were so many good times.

It's amazing the things that go through your head during that uninterrupted time in the car. I had a full hour and fifteen minutes today to relive that day two years ago. That moment I carried her into the vet's office... I look back at that moment and think how did I manage that. I carried my 37 lb. baby into the office cradled in my arms while Christian waited in the car with Cocoa. I opened the door on my own without dropping her or shifting her in anyway that would cause her discomfort. Really, how did I do that? The more I revisited that experience I knew I had to call Christian. He got me refocused as he told his favorite story about our girl.

We live near the Carl Sandburg Home and would occasionally take the girls there to walk. If you have ever walked to the top of Big Glassy, you know it is a journey that is all uphill. On this particular day Christian decided that he was going all the way to the top with Katie. Um, really?! You can count me out. More importantly, there was NO way that Sydney could make that climb. Given her hip issues and arthritis, there was no way I was going to push that girl to walk to the top.

Picture of Sydney from a trip to Charleston. 

As we stood there in a clearing, I watched Christian and Katie take off. She pranced in front of him with her ears bouncing like antennae. Slowly, I began to nudge Sydney back down the way we came. She was resistant. To be honest, resistant isn't a strong enough word. She was downright belligerent. Eventually, she got her way and we headed up after the other two. Yes, I had just let the dog manipulate me, but she was insistent. That's the thing about Sydney, she had this way about her, this silent determination that always amazed us.

That was a slow walk up to Big Glassy. Every step was slow and deliberate, but it was determined. As Christian told that story today he mentioned the feeling that he felt when he saw us arrive at the top. I will never forget his look of disbelief. I explained that the choice hadn't been mine, but I had been forced to head that direction against my will. From there on out Christian dubbed her "Blonde Rocky."

This was such an appropriate name for her. She battled so many health issues her entire life but emerged on the other side with dignity and perseverance. Even to the end she was a fighter, and I am so lucky that she was a part of my life, even if it was too short of a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment