Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Does History Repeat Itself?

I always say that I am going to write a positive blog post to talk about the fur babies, but that rarely seems to happen. That is ultimately because I don't feel as compelled to express my frustration about those issues. When something negative happens, writing about it provides me with a necessary outlet.

When I found myself combing through old Facebook posts (I mean three to four years old), I knew that writing a blog post was the only thing that was going to help me cope. Cocoa recently went to the vet for watery eyes. Now this is pretty typical for her in the spring and fall, but this year it was significantly worse. No big deal. Allergies. Give her Benadryl. Now, the bad news.

Ok. Describing it as bad news might be a stretch. Let's define it as not good news or not as bad as it could be news. Cocoa has a heart murmur. I know, I know, dogs can live with a heart murmur for years. BUT.... There is the last time, our only frame of reference, and that turned out to be disastrous. As the doctor talked to me about the murmur, my eyes filled with tears. He tried to be reassuring. Most dogs can live for years with a heart murmur he told me. I have heard this before, and the last time our dear sweet Katie was gone within a year and a few months. You are probably wondering how all of this actually connects to me looking through old Facebook posts. Um, I was trying to determine how many months we had from the beginning of Katie's heart murmur to the end with her congestive heart and kidney failure. I thought for sure there would be enough clues to help me figure it out. Crazy, yes, possibly. I could even call the doctor's office, but I don't want them to think I am totally paranoid. These are NOT the same circumstances. Who knows how long Katie had actually had her murmur. She was older than Cocoa is now, so overall, Cocoa is in better health. Still, there is this nagging part of my brain that is totally colored by that experience. I just cannot let it go.

So what does it all mean? It just means that I cherish every day. Every moment suddenly seems more important than it did. It shouldn't be that way, but it is. I am not ready to go through the loss again, but we will face each day as it comes. Here's to hoping that we have years ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment